Drug Addiction Support

When someone we care about is suffering from addiction, it can be very overwhelming to try and support them. A person who abuses dangerous substances is not only risking their physical health, but their social and emotional health as well. They may be closed off and guarded, but it is essential to the betterment of their livelihood for you to be there as a form of emotional support for the addict.

One of the hardest pasts that come along with supporting an addict is that they may not be willing to admit that their drug use is a problem. They may appear angry or explosive when confronted about their addiction, and get offended or embarrassed. One way that has shown to be successful in many cases of addiction is writing an intervention letter to the addict, and holding an intervention with them and anyone else who may care about them and want the addict to kick their addiction.

Below there will be an example of an intervention letter that could be used by an addict’s support system to help the addict admit that they have a problem and seek professional help and support for their drug addiction. Through a letter like this, you can show an addict that their addiction does not just impact them, but others around them as well. Feel free to use the following letter or take any valuable information that you may think you would like to include in your intervention letter.

Intervention help for families

drug addiction support

Dear Son,

I’ve made many mistakes in my life, and by no means am I perfect. I’ve fallen down before, but I’ve always picked myself back up. When you were born, and I held you in my arms for the first time, I made you a promise that I would always help you back up if you fall. I’ve honored this promise for a long time. When you were learning to rise a bike, and fell and scraped your knee, I rushed over and encouraged you to get right back on the bike. It wasn’t long before you refused to accept my help, and were riding down the street all by yourself. I’ve watched you grow into a smart, inspiring, and wonderful young man, but over the years I let go of that promise I made to you in the delivery room so many years ago.

When I first became suspicious of your drug use, I did anything possible to distract myself. I threw my body and mind into my work and I pushed my suspicions deep down in the hopes that they would just go away. The signs got worse, but I didn’t help you back up. I had seen that you had fallen, but I didn’t feel as though I could fix it with a simple Band-Aid to the knee anymore. I admit that I have failed you, and starting today I want to actively work with you to get you help for your addiction.

Intervention for drug abuse

drug addiction support

Your addiction does not only impact you. Your mother is starting to develop an addiction to alcohol in a way to curb and deal with her negative emotions associated with your addiction. I hope you can see that your behavior is impacting more than yourself. I’ve fallen behind in the workplace trying to figure out ways to help you. Your mother and I spend majority of our time fighting over you, or worrying about what type of trouble you could be getting into at any given moment. Your little sister is so confused. She has always looked up to you as a brother, and we can see how heartbroken she is that you are throwing your life away.

This addiction is not only tearing apart the family, but destroying the life you have worked so hard to build as well. You have lost the job that you spend years working towards. You have fallen behind on bills and your mortgage payments. All of your old friends have grown tired dealing with your addiction, and have left you. The new crowd you have been spending time with only encourages you to further your addiction. These people do not care about you. We do.

Drug intervention

Drug addiction support

It is not too late for you son. It is not too late for you to start over, and go back to your old life. We are willing to do whatever it takes for you to get better. We know this isn’t your fault. Addiction is a disease, and it can take control of your life. We love you so much, and there’s nothing more that we want in life than to see you and your little sister succeed. We will always be in your corner, and we will always support you.

Help is out there, and if you are willing to put in the work, we are too. We want you to commit to going into an inpatient facility where trained doctors and medical staff can help assist you through the detox process and help you learn ways to prevent a relapse once you are set free. There are hundreds of facilities to choose from, and many different methods for getting clean that will be available to you. We are willing to try out whatever it is that you need, and offer emotional support whenever needed.

We also know that we are going to need to give you some space. I understand that the withdrawal process is long and painful, and we understand if you do not want us to be there for it. You have nothing to be ashamed of. We love you, and we want to see you live a life free of addiction.

Sincerely,

Dad