Online Addiction Recovery Resource

Dealing with stress

stress management

I never realized how far behind my peers I was when it came to building a resume until one day in class, our professor asked to see all of our resumes. I printed mine out and when I handed it in, I realized mine was about one-third the length of everyone else’s. I had never had an internship before, and I knew the job market was going to be highly competitive once I graduated.

So my last semester of my senior year, I made the decision to work on making my resume the best it could be by the time I graduated. I applied to every internship that was for people in my major in the entire Baltimore area. Three of the businesses got back to me within a week, and the interviews went great. I decided to take on all three jobs part time, as well as keep the two jobs I currently had.        

I knew that taking on all of this work was going to be hard, but I felt confident in my ability to manage my stress, not become to overwhelmed, and properly manage my time. Thankfully, I was right. There are many ways to handle stress in the workplace, and over the past few months I have been able to test out what works for me and what doesn’t. 

Stress management

dealing with stress

This past Christmas, I got an Amazon Alexa as one of my presents. I figured out that there are tons of skills that one can download to start the day off calm, relaxed, and stress free. I usually begin by listening to some happy news, meditating for 15 minutes, and the listening to the sound of the rain while I get ready. Since I have started doing this, I’ve noticed many differences in how I deal with stressful situations during the workday, and I also have more energy and am in a better mood.

Sometimes, there are situations that I come across at work that make me feel like I’m never going to get anything done. The best thing to do when I am feeling overwhelmed, is to go outside and take a walk. The fresh air is great for clearing the mind, improving physical health, and boosting my mood. I also have been practicing deep breathing exercises several times a day to help calm myself down when I am feeling emotional or getting worked up.

Mental health

Our mental health is often neglected when we cannot properly manage our time, and give attention to our emotions, thoughts, and feelings. There is a strong misconception that many people in the working class hold that taking a sick day is only for when you are feeling physically ill. The truth is, taking a mental health day can improve productivity, workers attitudes, and prevent mental health issues from progressing. When we tackle mental health issues early on, it is easier to get treatment for them.

Seeking professional help for mental health issues is necessary if one wants to be successful in their career. This could mean seeing a therapist, going on medication, or using holistic forms of care. Often, when an individual is faced with unwanted feelings, they may turn to harmful substances to curb the negative emotions. They use drugs and alcohol as a way to self-medicate against their mental health issues.

Stress and addiction

stress and addiction

Stress and addiction go hand in hand. In the workplace, stressful stations are eminent. They are going to happen no matter what. Companies can offer stress management workshops for their employees, and also offer one-on-one care for those who feel their stress levels are impacting their work productivity.

Workplace addiction

There are many other ways to reduce stress in the workplace. Next time a coworker or someone is getting on your nerves, take a step back and listen to music. Make sure to bring headphones as to not disturb your office mate, and just take a second to escape the situation you are in. Maybe walk down the hall and use the bathroom, grab something from your car, or do anything else that gives you a moment to step back and reflect.

Next time you feel stressed, you can also use aromatherapy as a way to de-stress and relax. There are diffusers that can easily be plugged in and put on your desk, as well as aromatherapy infused jewelry you can wear to always have a refreshing scent to smell in times of crisis.

Addiction recovery resources

When an individual is self-medicating with drugs or other harmful substances, they can easily develop an addiction. Often many members of the working class do not have the opportunity to seek professional treatment, because they do not feel they have the time or money. They are unaware of the many forms of free and easily accessible treatment for working professionals suffering from addiction. This can be in the form of an online addiction recovery resource like online forums or online communities. Those who are struggling can also look into different forms of online therapy

Signs of addiction

A working professional may go to extreme lengths to try and hide their addiction. They may lie about using dangerous substances, and get angry when they are confronted about it. The best way to approach someone that you care about that may be suffering from addiction is to tread lightly. Do not accuse them of lying or being unfair to you. Tell them how much you love and care about them, and do not get angry.

There are many signs of addiction, but some tell-tale ones include:

·       Mood swings

·       Paranoia

·       Weight loss or gain

·       Tremors or ticks

·       A use despite health problems

If you feel as though you may have an addiction, or know someone who is suffering from one, do not hesitate to reach out for help.