Addiction Treatment for Professionals

Dear Lauren,

I’ve wanted to be famous for as long as I can remember. I spent my entire childhood entering singing competitions and auditioning for roles on T.V. Up until the age of ten, I was just doing small commercials, but then a fancy agent picked me up and my career exploded. I was a reoccurring guest on several T.V. shows and by the age of 17, I was in over seven different movies.

Being in the movie-making business, many would claim that I grew up too fast. It is true that I spent much of my young adulthood around older adults partying. It became impossible for me to continue to move up in the industry without joining in on the crazy drug and alcohol abuse. By age 20 I was addicted to pain killers, cocaine, meth, heroin, and I had a bad problem with alcohol.

My agent and my parents threatened to end my career if I didn’t get help. I had to enter a rehab treatment center, where I spent over six months getting clean. I am slowly trying to work my way back into my acting career, while balancing my recovery. I try my best to avoid triggers, but I know it is going to be hard to avoid temptation and felling back into my old habits once I am back in the professional workplace. There is so much stress and pressure from others to just use drugs to combat the long hours, tedious script memorizing, and other various factors that play into the profession.

While I am in recovery for my addiction, I want to be able to utilize all forms of drug addiction support that I possibly can to help avoid a relapse. I have seen many young actresses just like my ruin their careers with drugs. I have known people who have overdosed and died, and I know that I could have been just like them.

I know that the longer I spend out of the acting game, the harder it is going to be for me to get back in. These next few years are my time to shine, and I can’t let drugs or alcohol ruin that for me. I am willing to whatever it takes to manage my life as a professional actress. What are some tips and ideas you have for a recovering addict like myself?

Sincerely,

“So Close to Fame”

stress management

Recovery for addiction

Dear “So Close to Fame,”

Working in a high stress job or profession can put you at a very large risk for mental health and addiction issues. Working in the entertainment industry puts you at an even higher risk than just your average working professional. The earlier in your life that you seek help, the more likely you are to make a recovery fast enough to still make it in the world of fame. Many young men and women who start acting young fall victim to drug addiction because of the inability to treat feelings of stress properly.

Stimulants are very common in the workplace. Sometimes people will have to work for days on end, tirelessly, and without any time for a break. Human beings are not meant to spend long periods of time awake, because sleep is vital to live a functional life. Students often use prescription drugs such as Adderall or Ritalin to stay up all night to cram for tests, essays, and presentations. Often working professionals will use stimulants to get work done by a certain deadline, meet quotas, or to get a promotion.

In the entertainment industry, stimulants like cocaine are very common because famous, wealthy, individuals can afford to spend large sums of money on expensive drugs and share it with others. Cocaine is highly addictive, and often those who are in the entertainment business need to use the drug multiple times a day just to keep from having a breakdown.

Stress management

drug addiction treatment

Trying to stay clean from harmful substances can be very difficult especially if your job forces you to constantly be around them. Make sure that the people you work with know that you are in recovery, and to not pressure you into using. That way the situation will be less likely to come up, and you will be less likely to use.

Avoid situations where you know there will be drugs or alcohol. Do not go out for drinks after a long day on set, and don’t go to parties where the invite list is full of users. Fortunately, there are many simple ways that you can try to manage stressful situations and avoid turning to drugs for help. Try going out for air whenever you feel tempted, or learn deep breathing techniques. If you have someone you can trust to support you, create a signal or secret phrase that you both know that you can use when you are feeling overwhelmed or tempted to fall back into old habits.

Drug addiction support

drug addiction

Lucky for you, there is a lot of drug addiction support for you to use in your recovery. Learning to spot the signs of addiction, healthily manage your stress levels, and avoid relapse triggers is a great start to finding a life free of the temptation of dangerous substances. If you feel as though you left the rehab center too early, or you did not get the proper car for your specific case, look into a rehab center that provides addiction treatment specifically for working professionals. You will not be disappointed in the levels of care that a rehab center for professionals can give you. They can work with your demanding career and busy work schedule as well.

Best of Luck,

Lauren