Job Interview Tips

job interview tips

I long for the days when my parents would pay me to do chores around the house when I was a kid. I would get five dollars for emptying the dishwasher and cleaning my room. Then I would stretch that five dollars to last a whole weekend. I loved those days. My parents were my bosses. I made my own hours. (I even got free room and board).

There comes a time in everyone’s life when they have to go out and get a real job. That means creating a resume and cover letter, applying for jobs, getting recommendations, making phone calls, sending emails, and going in for job interviews. This means putting on your best outfit, dressing nice, showering and getting ready, and trying your hardest to impress. This means learning how to observe and respond to body language, practice proper business etiquette, and make great first impressions. There are endless job interview tips that you can use to your advantage in the hiring process.

Body language

body language

You know the feeling when you first meet a new person, and everything is going great in the conversation, but somehow you feel cold, closed off, and uncomfortable? This may be due to improper body language during your job interview.

If you are nervous or anxious, or uncomfortable in any way, it will show in your body language. If you are bored, or irritated, or tired, it will also show in your body language. You need to actively pay attention to and monitor your body language and the message you are sending, especially when you are going in for a job interview and trying to make a good first impression.

Eye contact

When you go in for a job interview, make sure that you are always keeping eye contact with the person you are talking to. Maintaining proper eye contact shows a mutual respect and interest in what the other person is saying. Do not glance at your phone or watch or at the clock. This makes it look like you have more important places to be or that you want to leave. Don’t stare out the window or look to long at whatever is going on behind the person you are talking to. This makes you look uninterested and bored. While proper eye contact is key in any interview, don’t forget to blink!

Hand shaking

It is very important that you shake the hand of the person you are meeting with both at the beginning and the end of the interview. This will set a professional tone and show the employer that you are serious about this job opportunity. Shaking a person’s hand demonstrates extremely proper business etiquette.

Professional conversations

professional conversations

There are thousands of possible conversation topics that may come up during a job interview. There are so many different topics and ideas you can bounce around with a possible future employer. Here are some that I find to be best to make for a great professional conversation:

·       Your education. Talk about where you went to high school and college. If you went to graduate school, even better! Don’t forget to bring that up.

·       Past employment. Talk about jobs you have had in the past and what you have learned from those experiences.

·       Your career path. Why did you go into the profession you are in? Why did you choose your college major? Why do you want to have a job in this field?

·       Non-work related situations where you got to use skills you learned on the job.

·       Gains. What do you hope to one day get out of this job? Do you just need money or do you really want to get involved in something that will help you in life and with your career?

·       Location. Talk about how far away from the job location you are. Will you be walking? Or will you be driving or taking the bus?

·       Internships. Have you ever had an internship? If it was unpaid let them know, because it shows that you have interest in this job field beyond the scope of just getting paid.

·       Skills. Do you have any technology skills? People skills? Let your employer know what you are great at and what you personally bring to the company.

The conversation topics that you shouldn’t talk about all seem like pretty common sense. I feel as though I should still briefly talk about them, so here is a short list:

·       Drinking.

·       Drugs.

·       Partying.

·       How often you call in sick.

·       Getting fired from other jobs.

·       ANYTHING that would be considered complaining.

Your possible future boss does not care how much you drink, unless it will affect your performance on the job. It doesn’t help you to brag about how often you go out or how much you party on the weekends. Each of these topics should be off limits in both a job interview and the workplace in general. You do not want to miss out on a job just because you brought up how you went out with a bunch of friends the night before and still made it into the interview. It’s not impressive and they may just end the interview right then and there.

Preparing for a job interview can be very stressful. Remember to always bring Chap Stick, water and mints. Get a good night’s sleep the night before and eat a big breakfast. Shower the day of and maybe pick out a new outfit to wear to the interview. Dress professionally and don’t wear too much makeup. Practice your speaking either in front of a mirror or with a friend.

My hope is that if you implement each of these tips into your job process, you will get the dream job you always wanted