Holistic Treatment

Going into my freshman year of college I was required to sign up for a class that fulfilled my degree requirement of global perspectives. I decided to go with a class called Alternative and Complimentary Health Care. Right away I knew this was going to be a very interesting class. I had no idea the vast opportunities that are available for recovery that do not include traditional methods. This class did stress the vast uses of alternative health care, but the teacher was very clear that complimentary methods are the best approach to treatment. This means using alternative care in addition to using traditional medicine when going about treatment.

Even though my other is a registered nurse and very familiar with traditional medical treatment, she has still attempted to incorporate holistic treatment into my lifestyle. She gives me vitamins to take every day and we go to yoga together. When I was in high school, my mom also got her certification in reiki, which is a form of body energy manipulation.

Holistic recovery

In my house at college, we use essential oils daily to keep the room smelling fresh and have a positive atmosphere. Holistic recovery is now used by more than one third of adults in the United States today. One major sector of care that holistic recovery is increasingly being used is addiction recovery.

Holistic care comes in handy when dealing with recovery from substance abuse. Alternative treatment comes in many forms such as yoga, meditation and mindfulness, drumming therapy, hiking and other exercise, acupuncture, group therapy, Tai-Chi, massage, essential oils, herbs and teas, and so much more.

Addiction recovery and spiritual wellness

It is a lot easier than it seems to trace back the roots of the problem that caused addiction in the first place. A lack of resources and education to deal with stressful situations can lead to self-medication with harmful substances. When people feel as though they have no spiritual guidance in their life, they may also turn to drugs and alcohol. Addiction can also sprout from trauma, abuse, or mental illness. Holistic recovery methods take into consideration the person as a whole rather than as individual working parts. It aims to heal a person physically, mentally, and spiritually.

It is very easy to incorporate holistic wellness practices into your spirituality. The use of candles and essential oils is becoming more common in religious settings. The whole point of holistic care in addiction recovery is to help you get and stay sober. Holistic care tools that you learn while in a rehab center can be used for the rest of your life. There are many different programs available in rehab centers. You can do inpatient or outpatient depending on the severity of your addiction and your schedule.

During my Alternative and Complimentary Health Care class, we had many presenters come in and teach us about their alternative therapy. They used tools such as healing crystals, energy poles and rods, and their hands. A reiki specialist came in and had several people come up to be demonstrated on. The class was in awe of how much a person can help another person by moving their energy without even touching them.

My teacher owned his own chiropractor practice. He mentioned many time that going to a chiropractor is a form of holistic care, and it can improve the body as a whole. When I had lower back pain in high school, I went to see a chiropractor and it not only fixed my pain, but improved my mood. Holistic care can be used in all areas of life.

Integrative medicine and holistic addiction treatment

Holistic medicine has the ability to save lives. It can elevate your body’s overall sense of well-being physically, mentally, and spiritually. It can treat addiction, stress, and physical and mental illnesses. It can aid in recovery and is proven to have less side effects than traditional medicine. Integrative medicine can improve the quality of life for an addict.

Some believe that holistic care is a hoax. That everyone is just thinking they are better because they are using new treatment. This has not be proven. Holistic remedies have been used for centuries to treat people. It only makes sense to expand this use into addiction recovery. Withdrawal and its accompanying symptoms are not easy. It is long, painful, and many people give up, and even die. Alternative care methods can be used in so many ways in the holistic approach to addiction recovery.